The Temple of Nefertari, also known as "Temple of Hathor, was built under the leadership of the third Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II Dynasty XIX, as a tribute to his wife, Queen Nefertari, being one of the few examples of major temples a woman in ancient Egypt.
The temple was first erected in about 1284 a. C. and completed twenty years later, in 1264 a. C. It is one of six rock-cut temples which were built in Nubia during the long reign of Ramses II. It was abandoned for several centuries, until in 1813 the Swiss JL Burckhardt visited him. On his return to Europe, he explained his discovery to the Italian explorer Giovanni Belzoni, who traveled to the scene but could not enter the temple, so he returned in 1817, this time finding the entrance and then taking all the objects found and could carry .
The temple is dedicated to Hathor, goddess of love and beauty, as well as his favorite wife, Nefertari. It was built along with the Temple of Ramses II with the intention to impress the enemies of southern Egypt and attest to the greatness and power of the kingdom. The dedication is at the entrance of the temple, filled with images of Nefertari and her children, just to see what was the pharaoh for his queen:
[...] A work for eternity belonging to the Great Royal Wife Nefertari-Merienmut, which the sun shines
Following the construction of the Aswan High Dam in 1964 the Temple of Ramses and Nefertari were dismantled to be rebuilt again in a nearby area, 65 meters high and about two hundred meters away.
According to archaeologists, the temple was never completed.