The Plaza del Triunfo is located in the District "Old Town" of Seville.
Irregularly shaped, to the north adjacent to the Cathedral and the convent of the Incarnation, to the east is situated the old Provincial Council and the walls of the Alcázar, which continue towards the south west is the Archive of the Indies.
Converge on the square the streets Ceferino González, Joaquín Romero Murube, Santo Tomás, Miguel de Manara and the Plaza de la Virgen de los Reyes.
Even in the eighteenth century was called "Plaza de la Lonja" in reference to the current Archives of the Indies.
As a result of the Lisbon earthquake of 1755 rose a monument or Triumph in the place where the Mass was finished cathedral, which was interrupted by the earthquake. From then on it was the custom of celebrating a Mass of thanksgiving annually in this square, front of the monument.
The Triumph was built in 1757 and is the work of Jose Tomas Zambrano. In the temple that crowns it is a figure of the Virgin and Child, known as Our Lady of Triufo and Virgen del Patrocinio.
In the early twentieth century the square was redesigned from a design by Juan Talavera Heredia, and moved the monument to the Immaculate Conception in 1918.