Monument to King San Fernando chairs the center of the Plaza Nueva Seville.
The first idea of a monument to the Holy King left the mayor Francisco Javier Cavestany in 1848, when he was still building the plaza, from the site of the Franciscan Casa Grande. The idea came to nothing. Later, in 1861, regained the initiative with the express support of Queen Elizabeth II. Various changes of opinion and administrative circumstances delayed the decision until 1877, which laid the foundation stone of King Alfonso XII. The work was completed in the next century, with its opening on August 25, 1924.
On the occasion of the opening ceremony, the procession made an extraordinary output of the Virgen de los Reyes to the foot of the monument.
In finalizing the monument collaborated most famous artists of the time. Thus, the pedestal and the whole idea is Juan Talavera Heredia. The sides of the pedestal is flanked by figures of four characters who accompanied the Holy King in the conquest of Seville: the figure of Alfonso X is the work of Enrique Pérez Comendador, the gentleman Garci Perez is the work of Joaquín Sánchez Cid Admiral Jose Ramon Bonifaz is Lafitta and Diaz, and Alfonso Lopez Rodriguez made the Bishop Don Remondo.At the top, the equestrian statue of San Fernando is Joaquín Martínez Bilbao.