Origins of the Mangana Tower remain unclear. In 1565 it was painted by Antoon van den Wijngaerde, which indicates that at that time Mangana had already been built up, and after the attacks by French soldiers during the Spanish War of Independence war - at the beginning of the 19th century - and having been hit previously by a thunderbolt in the 18th century, it became badly destroyed. Mangana Tower was rebuilt by Fernando Alcántara in Neomudejar style - inspired on Arab decorative motifs - in 1926. Finally Victor Caballero gave Mangana its current look in a fortress-like style in 1968.
It has a clock on one of its walls and a recording of bell chimes can be heard in the old town at certain times (every quarter of an hour).
There are views from the near viewpoints over the river Jucar's gorge and the modern neighborhoods. Mangana can be reached on foot from Plaza Mayor.