Lazienki Park was designed in the 17th century by Tylman van Gameren, in the baroque style, for Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski. It took the name Łazienki ("Baths") from a bathing pavilion that was located there.
The development of the classical-style gardens became a major project for King Stanisław August Poniatowski. The park-and-palace complex was designed by Domenico Merlini, Johann Christian Kammsetzer and landscape gardener Jan Chrystian Schuch.Its principal buildings stand beside or near the Łazienki Lake andŁazienki River. Stanisław August's palace is situated on the lake andhence is known as the "Palace on the Water."
Most of the buildings in the park suffered severe fire damage during and after the 1944 Warsaw Uprising,amid fighting between German and Polish forces. The structuresnevertheless were relatively well-preserved, compared to those in the Old Town;here the Germans had drilled holes in the palace walls for placement ofexplosive charges, but charges had not been placed to destroy thebuildings.