Not so much an institution as a monument. In 1897, a figure in the city, called Pere Romeu, opened this café in a modernist building of Puig, and for some years was the meeting point of Bohemia Barcelona. Important artists of the moment, such as Rusiñol Houses, created works especially for him, the cover of the menu was the first commission paid by Picasso.
It closed in 1903 and for decades was used as a textile warehouse, until in the 1980s finally restored and reopened, with reproductions of original works made by contemporary artists.
With its new direction is more elegant than bohemian, but it is an attractive place for coffee, with good but expensive tapas. In the back room where once avant-garde performances presented Pere Romeu, a restaurant with a good lunch menu. The restaurant serves traditional Catalan cuisine.