The building of the Bank of Spain stands in Seville, a landmark of the city, presiding over one of its sides under the Plaza de San Francisco and serving as a finishing element of the Constitution Avenue, visually connected with the noble building Renaissance Town Hall and the other place open to it, the Plaza Nueva.
Clad in a clear monumentality, Antonio Illanes del Rio, the author and architect responsible for its design, the order comes from a contest of ideas that is convened for that purpose in Madrid, in 1917, the city where he then worked.
The proposed building away from the formal and aesthetic aspects that constitute the spirit of regionalism that characterizes the works of the city, and even their own.
Initially the building had a more forceful classical, for in his project involved a large front porch based on Ionic columns, as well as various decorative themes, aspects such as that in the year 1919 are deleted when the Bank requires Illanes scale back the project.
The work was slow apparently for economic reasons, as something that became common at that time in the city, then overturned by another type of construction directly related to the Latin American Exhibition.However, the pace picked up, the building is constructed almost entirely between 1925 and 1928.
The main facade of the square, as finally made, is divided symmetrically into three vertical: one central and two lateral. The central, three blocks separated by giant pilasters and Ionic, has two storeys high and includes access door on a large shield supported by two lions. In the frieze of the entablature appears broad rubric of "Bank of Spain," and on he third floor screed as an attic, a lower height than the two main pillars cajeadas organized by small on-line auctions apretinado . The two lateral bodies, and developed closer connection to center on its edges have the perfect pillow pilasters that link the entablature with reliefs of shields surrounded by a fine under decoration.
The visual importance of this facade is emphasized by the central stairway access that saves the gradient of the basement floor, and even more so with the newest location in front of it from the former Mercury Fountain.