In the close summer heat of September 3, 1777 nearly 800 Americans forming the “Special Corps” of Gen. William Maxwell engaged over 4,000 British Light Infantry and Hessian Jägers at Cooch's Bridge near Aikens Tavern (Glasgow). This small force of American rebels took up defensive positions in the creek beds and small ravines along Christina Creek and opened fire. The battle was a series of attacks followed by a fall back to another defensive position. Gen. Maxwell was following orders from Gen. George Washington to “provide every possible annoyance to the enemy” (Ward, p. 190) in an attempt to examine the British forces in terms of troops and munitions. The Battle of Cooch's Bridge was the first engagement in the Philadelphia Campaign of 1777.